As the years pass, our teeth begin to show wear and tear. This is even true for the most dedicated toothbrushers and flossers, those patients that see their dentist every 6 months as recommended. This wear and tear includes minor cracks, gaps, chips, discoloration, and misalignments which, although they might be harmless, can make us feel self-conscious about our smiles and smiling shouldn’t be something you worry about. Porcelain dental veneers can address all these imperfections, refreshing your smile with one simple procedure instead of multiple, so you can smile your best.
Refresh Your Existing Smile With Dental Veneers
The Lilburn, GA dental practice of Dr. Harry W. McCool can use porcelain dental veneers to improve the aesthetics of your smile. Veneers can alter the color, shape, and spacing of your teeth. A porcelain veneer is a very thin shell that covers the front and sides of a tooth that has cosmetic issues.
Porcelain resembles natural tooth enamel so your veneers will seamlessly blend into your smile while also restoring a fresh, youthful appearance. When veneers are placed by a skilled professional like Dr. McCool, they will feel completely natural in your mouth and you won’t even notice them when you eat or talk. Dental veneers are highly stain resistant and can prevent the yellowing of your teeth over time. However, they will still need to be brushed, flossed and regularly examined by a dentist. Although very strong and durable, porcelain veneers can be broken or cracked if too much force is applied when biting or chewing.
Dental veneers can also be used to make misaligned teeth appear straighter, allowing for a quicker, simpler and less expensive solution than traditional orthodontic treatment or invisible braces. Porcelain veneers are custom-created for each patient’s mouth and placed over your existing teeth, so Dr. McCool can design your veneers with any specific cosmetic issues your smile may have in mind.
The Porcelain Veneers Procedure
- Comprehensive Evaluation: A comprehensive dental exam and evaluation is the first step in the creation of your custom porcelain veneers. This will include a physical examination of the teeth, gums, jaw joints, and other support structures of the mouth by Dr. McCool. In the course of the exam, he or she will determine if your natural teeth and bite will provide a stable foundation for your veneers.
- Treatment Planning: Dr. McCool will create a personalized treatment plan just for you. At this time he will discuss your desired results and your choice in materials to reach your dental goal.
- Design & Fabrication: Porcelain Veneers are implemented in two visits to the dentist. First, your tooth is prepared to be fitted with a veneer, which will involve trimming a portion of the tooth. Next, an impression is taken of your tooth which will be sent to a laboratory to prepare the veneer. You may receive a temporary veneer depending on how much of your tooth structure was removed. This temporary veneer will protect your tooth while the permanent veneer is prepared at the laboratory.
- Placement: After the permanent veneer has arrived from the laboratory, your temporary veneer will be removed and the permanent veneer is adjusted and fit to your tooth.
- Although porcelain veneers do require some special care, Dr. McCool will instruct you on how to properly maintain them for the longest-lasting results possible. Although routine dental cleanings and examinations are crucial to ensuring the long-term health and stability of your veneers, with conscientious care, they can last you many years.
Dental Veneers in Lilburn, GA
To learn more about whether porcelain veneers are right for you, schedule an appointment with Dr. McCool and his team in Lilburn. Call (770) 450-4407 or schedule a consultation online today.