This April, we are working to raise awareness of oral cancer. A frequently under-diagnosed cancer, oral cancer affects nearly 50,000 Americans a year. General dentist Dr. Harry McCool encourages all of his patients to visit our Lilburn, GA dentist office twice a year for oral cancer screenings for the early diagnosis for a chance at conservative care. Dr. McCool offers oral cancer screenings at every dental check up.
Know Your Risks
Oral cancer could affect anyone. However, there are certain conditions, lifestyle habits and genetics that may increase your chance of developing oral cancer. Know your risk factors, and be sure to get screened for oral cancer. Risk factors for oral cancer include:
- Tobacco: Smoking, vaping and chewing have all been linked to an increase in oral cancer.
- Gender: Men are twice as likely as women to develop oral cancer.
- Alcohol: Drinking excessively, especially in combination with smoking, increases cancer rates.
- HPV: Exposure to the Human Papillomavirus or HPV increases the risk of oral cancer.
- Diet: A diet high in fat and processed foods has been linked to higher oral cancer rates.
Oral Cancer Screening Lilburn, GA
Oral cancer screenings take just a few minutes are non-invasive and virtually pain-free. Just a few minutes with Dr. McCool can save lives. Always be sure you are checking your mouth for warning signs and let Dr. McCool know as soon as possible if you spot a change that persists for more than two weeks. Signs of oral cancer include:
- Thickening of soft tissue
- White or red patches
- Lump in the throat
- Difficulty swallowing or chewing
- Hoarseness or soreness
Schedule An Appointment
This April schedule a dental check-up for you, and your family members. Regular visits to Dr. McCool may also help diagnosis complex oral health concerns in the earliest stages when they can be addressed with conservative dental treatments. Remember to also brush and floss twice a day to keep your smile bright and healthy!